Friday, May 06, 2005

A look back: Souvlaki's

Souvlaki's is probably for me personally one of the places that holds the most memories. The people there know my name and are able to get my order for me without asking. It's kinda like Cheers, only with gyros instead of beer.

My history at Souvlaki's stems back to the summer I spent down here in Blacksburg. I worked at the bookstore selling computers to freshmen, and thus had very little time to take for lunch. As a result, I had to go somewhere nearby that was cheap, good, and not horribly unhealthy. I eventually settled on Souvlaki's as my regular meal location. While some of the other restaraunts in Blacksburg may know my name, the staff at Souvlaki's without a doubt know me best. I'm going to have to say goodbye to them this summer. I'll fight back the tears. In addition, Souvlaki's is also the place where I personally had my first legal drink, a single bottle of beer before my Public Speaking class.

Well, enough of my personal Souvlaki's history, lets move on to the food there. As you can see in the pictures below, Souvlaki's contains a cone of spiced lamb and beef meat that is somehow the most delicious meat that I have ever tasted. If you are going there, you owe it yourself to get that meat, whether on a Philly Cheese Steak or on a Gyros plate or Gyros pita. I recommend the Gyros pita, as their pitas also are quite good. They then add on a strange cucumber sauce and lettuce and wrap it all up. A word of warning, as their shirts say, peel it back, don't unwrap. Otherwise, you will be laughed at.

Beyond the spiced meats, Souvlaki's is also a good place to get a normal sub, as they toast the sub up just right. If you have a fear of the spiced meat, a turkey sub is a good stand-in. A pita with cheese is also required for any meal.

The final thing that few people know about Souvlaki's is that they have very good prices on pitchers of beer. A pitcher of Amber-Boch for 5.50? Can't beat that deal.

The tour's meal recommendations

Justin
Gyros (Wrapped up in a pita and incredible)
Philly Cheese Steak (The spiced lamb meat melted together with cheese)
Turkey Sub (Toasted to perfection)
Pita with cheese
Beer (As mentioned above, pitchers are well-priced)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home